Mrs. Coco over at RHOK is asking for our top 5 Pet Peeves during MckLinky Monday. Really, only 5? I know I have more but I will try to limit that because I am sure not following the rules is another person's pet peeve. Except for #1, these are in no particular order.
1. Children not restrained properly in a vehicle. Even before I had children this was my biggest pet peeve and always will be. People, are you stupid? Children can not make a wise decision about safety so you have to be the responsible adult. There are reasons that the car seats and cars have warnings. This is for your child's safety. If they are upset and you can NOT wait to get to your destination, then pull over in a parking lot and take care of the upset child. I have personally had to pull-over to nurse a baby. Inconvenient, yes but safe! If they are old enough to unbuckle or throws a fit about being buckled, then you need to stand your ground and the vehicle should not be started. I have had a difficult child and yes, we have been late to more than one activity because I REFUSE to start my van until all people are safely and properly restrained.
2. Picky eaters. I have a couple in my house that try to be picky but I am not a short-order cook. They must at least try what is put in front of them on the table or wait until the next meal. If majority of the family does not like the meal, I make a note of that and I do not fix it again. Personally, I do not like peas but I fix them because they are JB's favorite and the kids like them too. I just quietly choke them down during a meal. It is a small sacrifice on my part to make sure my family gets a variety of food in their system.
3. Negative Nellies or Neds. I have bad days and need to complain but I strive to be positive and find the good in everything. I do not always find that good I am looking for but I sure do like the happy side of things better than the bad side. I get so tired of hearing the same person complain day after day after day after day... Ok, you get the idea.
4. Texting while driving. I have been guilty of it but not anymore. If I am by myself, my phone is not in my reach so I am not tempted. If the kids are with me, then I do allow my oldest to read and answer a text for me. I never want to be the reason that one of my family members or someone else is hurt or killed because I was distracted. I could not live with that shame.
5. Snow. At this point, my home has received about 19 inches in one day last week, probably a couple of more inches a few days later and we are predicted to get about another 9 inches again this week. I will admit it is pretty and I like watching it fall. We also were able to have some great family time all together, but enough is enough. We need interaction with others and need to see something other than white.